Financial assistance for buying a wheelchair van is available from third-party resources through loans, grants, and other funding sources to help in buying a handicap van, other mobility equipment, or for the mobility conversion of a minivan.
Combining grants often helps pay for most or all of a handicap vehicle or van conversion, and we’re happy to work with any funding program(s) which provides assistance to you. Finding grants for people with disabilities is now easier than ever with our disability grant resource pages, created to assist you and your family.
When it comes to financing a wheelchair accessible vehicle, you have options at VMi New England. We’ll provide advice on how you can utilize State and Federal programs that could affect the final cost of your wheelchair van conversion or adaptive equipment installation.
Opportunities to possibly reduce your costs include:
- A doctor’s prescription that may exempt your purchase from sales tax.
- Veterans Administration programs that cover all or part of your expenses.
- Medicare may cover up to 80% of the cost of a new scooter or wheelchair.
- Your insurance company or workman’s compensation policies may include coverage.
- Sales tax exemptions.
- Department of Vocational Rehabilitation funding.
- Valuable rebate or incentive programs from wheelchair van manufacturers.