Dodge Grand Caravan with VMI Northstar E Conversion
The Northstar E is VMI’s most affordable wheelchair van and the first VMI vehicle tailored specifically to the needs of wheelchair users with caregivers. It is the only caregiver vehicle to offer front-seat wheelchair access, a manual in-floor ramp that requires no bending or lifting, and seating for up to seven passengers.
VMI’s patent-pending Northstar E conversion comes with an easy-to-use, manual in-floor ramp that requires little to no maintenance. The ramp is stowed under the floor, creating more interior room, a quieter ride and less dirt and debris in the interior.
Ramp is stored under the floor for increased safety within the mobility van in the event of a collision.
Easy To Use
Caregivers of any size or age can easily deploy and replace the ramp with little effort and no bending.
Obstruction-Free Door Way
Ramp slides out from beneath the floor, permitting passengers to enter and exit without deploying the ramp.
Ramp has a wide usable area and an 800-pound weight capacity to accommodate large wheelchairs.
The Northstar E offers the practicality of an unconverted minivan to meet the needs of caregivers, even when traveling without a wheelchair user. With unobstructed cargo areas and seating for up to seven, the Northstar E provides space and flexibility to accommodate multiple passengers and seating arrangements.
Removable Front Seat
Front passenger seat can be removed to allow the caregiver to sit next to the wheelchair user.
Obstacle-Free Front Seat
The front-passenger floor is free of obstacles to accommodate wheelchairs of almost any size.
Single and double flip-up mid-row seats match OEM interior and provide multiple seating options.
Our Northstar E provides enough door height to accommodate manual wheelchairs and small-to-medium power chairs. The doorway is clear of obstructions for easy entry and exit and has a dropped floor to give wheelchair users a clear line of sight.
Unobstructed, 55-inch high doorway is suitable for most wheelchair users.
11-inch dropped floor provides ample headroom throughout the vehicle.
Comfort & Style
Our Northstar E offers a clean, uncluttered interior and a quiet, comfortable ride with noise-reduction engineering.
A Quieter Ride
Engineered to minimize interior noise with extensive use of sound-deadening materials.
Factory-quality styling and color-match tie together flooring, molding and finishes for pleasing aesthetics.
Our Northstar E wheelchair-accessible minivans come with additional features for extra durability and ease of use. For example, the VMI Northstar reduces the likelihood of under-vehicle damage by providing up to 1.5 inches of additional ground clearance over other mobility vans.
All VMI conversion floors are E-coated for optimal rust and corrosion prevention.
High ground clearance reduces scraping caused by speed bumps, crested pavement or dips.
Options for the Northstar
Power Transfer Seat
A seat that swivels 120 degrees for a simpler and safer transfer from a wheelchair to the passenger or driver seat.
Unique, rubberized, non-slip flooring that provides excellent traction for wheelchairs and reduces road noise.
Standard in Toyota only
Steps added below the front doors to facilitate safer and easier entry and exit at those seating positions.
- Wheelbase: 121 inches
- Overall Length: 201 inches
- Overall Height: 73
- Overall Width: 77 inches
- Maximum Floor Drop: 11 inches
- Min. Vehicle Ground Clearance (ground effects): 5.5 inches
- Min. Vehicle Ground Clearance (exhaust): 6.5 inches
- Door Opening Height: 55.1 inches
- Door Opening Width: 30.8 inches
- Ramp Length (angle ramp and transition plate): 58.6 inches
- Usable Ramp Width: 29.25 inches
- Ramp Capacity: 800 pounds
- Ramp Angle with PowerKneel on (curb weight): 8 degrees
- Ramp Angle with PowerKneel off (curb weight): 11.5 degrees
- Overall Floor Length: 86 inches
- Length from Back of Seat Bases to Kickplate: 58.25 inches
- Floor Width at B Pillar: 60 inches
- Floor Width at Front Doors: 61 inches
- Interior Height at Center Position: 57.63 inches
- Interior Height at Driver Position: 58 inches w/o sunroof; 55.5 inches w/ sunroof
- Interior Height at Passenger Position: 58 inches (w/o sunroof)
- Cargo Area/Seat Up: 11.5 cubic feet